Finding the right skin care regimen for yourself is very important, especially if you’re getting your sparkle face on every day! Your skin also needs to be in the best shape possible so you won’t have to use as much makeup on a daily basis. I personally have oily skin which is a gift and a curse. A gift because my skin won’t age as fast. A curse because I end up looking like Jermaine Jackson at the end of the day if I am not using the right products….LOL
Here are the products that I am currently using for my oily skin that prevent me from looking like the above picture by the end of the day. Murad Clarifying Cleanser, Burt’s Bees Brightening Refining Tonic and Murad Oil Control Mattifier Spf 15.
Here is information on a quick 5 Step process to take care of the skin you are in so you can look more youthful with or without makeup…..Hydrate, Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize and Sleep!!!
1. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!! The most important thing to keep your skin from peeling, looking dry and premature aging in hydration. This should take place inside and out. We constantly tell our ladies to drink more water. The importance of water for skin and health is undeniable. It helps to regulate the body temperature via perspiration which also cleans our pores from dirt and toxins helping to avoid acne and other problems. It moisturizes the skin. It gives the skin we have buoyancy and elasticity to the muscle and upper layers of skin.
2. CLEANSER Some people swear by soap. However, if you wear makeup or sunscreen on a regular basis you need an active facial cleanser. They have so many out there for all skin types. Do your research. If you are a makeup wearer I suggest you use makeup removal cloths before you actually use your cleanser. Also, washing your face twice a day is a necessity. Of course you should wash it in the morning because you have been sleep and you may even use a night cream to moisturize your face. Please, please, please wash your face before going to bed. You have been out in the elements all day and there are so many things that have touched your skin that you cannot see. Don’t lay a dirty face down on your pillow. You are making it a breeding ground for toxins and skin clogging materials. We don’t think about these things. But the smog, germs, and makeup that we were daily should be washed off EVERY night. If you want a quick fix, keep facial cleansing cloths next to your bed.
3. TONER Traditional toners consist of moisturizers, oils and extracts that help soothe your skin. Astringents, which are generally alcohol-based, tighten the skin and pores and remove oil. Fresheners work similarly to astringents by tightening the skin, but they are made of ingredients like caffeine and green tea instead of alcohol. Because all of these different products can fall under the toner umbrella, it’s easy to see why toner is touted for tightening and moisturizing the skin — as well as maligned for drying it out. In order to choose the right toner for your skin, look at the product ingredients carefully. Alcohol, for example, is a dead giveaway that you’re dealing with an astringent. This step should be done after you cleanse your face and pat it dry with a wash cloth or towel you use specifically for your face. Do not mix your face and body towel/washcloth. The face is more sensitive than the skin on your body. Have some cotton balls, cotton rounds or facial tissues on hand to apply your astringent or liquid-based toner. Start swiping toner across your t-zone, or your forehead and nose. These are the oiliest spots and will benefit most from the astringent. You can then lightly brush it on your cheeks as well as other areas that may be oily. Stay away from any dry areas, as the alcohol in astringent can dry them out even further.
4. MOISTURIZE If you have a tendency to be on the dry side use a hydrating moisturizer. Ladies who are on the oilier side should still use a moisturizer. Not using one can cause your skin to process too much oil. Make sure you research the proper moisturizer for your skin type. Try your best to find one with a built in sunscreen. This can help prevent premature aging and protect you against the sun. And yes women of color need sunscreen. That myth that the melanin in our skin doesn’t require us to use sunscreen is malarkey. Yes we have better protection than other ethnicities, but we still need more. Just make sure you aren’t allergic to the sunscreen.
5. SLEEP When you don’t get enough sleep it literally shows on your face. Tired skin sags, bags, and loses its luster. Your skin, and your whole body, goes into repair mode when you sleep.While you sleep, your skin renews itself. New skin cells grow and replace older cells. It’s also a time when all sorts of hormonal and metabolic changes happen in and the body, including your skin. A lack of sleep can disrupt those processes. I know it is hard but in order to help this renewing process we should get between 7 and 9 hours per night. That way we won’t look like the walking dead.
Well there you have it the quick 5 step process on how to have Flawlessly Fabulous skin, from your very own Coach GiGi! Leave comments below with questions! I’d be glad to answer them!